EASTERN LANDS is an 18+ mature historical fantasy site based on Tamora Pierce's Tortall works. Focused on court intrigue and consequence of action, we are not for the faint of heart. Prepare to win, or die.
|Eastern Lands||Help Search Members Calendar Shop Reps Shoutbox|
|Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )||Resend Validation Email|
The rules listed below are not exhaustive and are subject to change as Eastern Lands grows. Any rule changes will be noted in #site-updates on Discord. If needed, staff may deal with situations not explicitly addressed in the rules when they do not align with our site premise.
01. You must be 18+ to play. Eastern Lands is a mature, Jcink premium forum - rated 3/3/3. Our posts may contain adult content (violence, death, sexual acts, etc...). We do not require threads containing this content to be marked, you choose to read at your own risk.
02. Respect one another, and do not harass other members of the community. This rule extends to non-forum, but forum-related, mediums such as Skype, Hangouts, email, etc. If the conversation is about Eastern Lands, you're held responsible on the site for your actions. We can and will take disciplinary action for misbehavior off-site. Misbehavior such as prejudice isn't tolerated in our community, nor is favoritism or cliquish habits.
03. Staff decisions should be respected. It should go without saying, but we will say it anyway. The staff team on Eastern Lands makes decisions based on what we feel is best for the site and the members. All decisions we make should be considered final and respected. If at any times you disagree with a staff decision, you are welcome to DM us with a valid argument.
04. Roleplaying Etiquette is a must. No god-moding, self-insertion, metagaming or power playing. Don't assume or force things, respect and communicate with your partners. Keep to post order unless otherwise agreed upon. Not sure what these terms mean? Ask a staff member.
05. Members are not their characters. Never take in-character temperaments for out-of-character opinions. Eastern Lands deals in treason, backstabbing, lies, secrecy, and most specifically, consequence - but never should these leave in-character situations.
06. Staff is here to help. Your first point of help is our #staff-help channel on our Discord. There any currently available staffer will answer as soon as they can. A DM or PM to a staffer is the next best option - please do not message other members with questions until you’ve exhausted all other options.
01. Make an OOC Account. These are used to link your character accounts and are needed to post in Out of Character areas including claims, plotting, etc. This is the account staff will communicate with. It's easiest to make one first.
02. Eastern Lands is "Account Per Character". Each character should have their own account. You can link them up to your OOC Account through 'My Controls' at the top.
03. Accounts should be properly capitalized. Your character accounts should follow the naming tradition of their group, and should be properly capitalized.
04. Reserves last one week. Incomplete profiles are given two weeks (14 days) to be completed. If you are concerned about your reservations, complete your profile in the first week.
05. Characters MUST be at least 16 years old. We will not accept characters at a younger age, though you may see NPCs that are younger. Characters that are 16 and 17 will not participate in mature threads. Violating this rule will lead to immediate thread deletion.
01. There are monthly roll calls.
Each month Eastern Lands will have a "roll call" to determine who is still around. Failure to respond to these roll calls will label a member and all their characters as inactive. Accounts that are inactive will go into our inactive section but are not deleted and can be brought back at any time.
02. Canon characters. Any canon character that is inactive for more than two weeks can be either NPC'd or re-opened at staff discretion.
01. There is no word count. While we do not uphold any official word requirement, we do ask that you give enough for your partner(s) to respond to.
02. Timestamp your threads. All present threads are required to have a timestamp including the day and month the thread begins in. Past threads must include a month and year, though day is exempt if it is more than a year in the past.
03. For City Threads please put the District. If your post is in the city of Corus, please add which district it takes place in, in your timestamp information.
01. Eastern Lands focuses heavily on consequences. Any decision your character makes and plays out actively in threads can be reacted to as others see fit - this can and will affect their place in the world. They can rise, and they can fall via effects of action, both good and bad.
02. Death and injury are a possibility. The staff has final say on character death, though player permission is required in all but the most extreme or egregious situations. This is considered the ultimate consequence, and players will be notified well ahead of time if their character is in danger.
03. Eastern Lands rewards proactivity. We encourage members to stir up their own plots and scandals - while keeping in mind rule #1 of this section. Members are welcome to create their own plots, and can earn staff support for these plots, however...
04. Staff Approval is required for major plots. If the plot members have stirred up could potentially change the course of events on site, staff must approve and agree to it to ensure it is a direction the community as a whole can go in.
05. Any interactions your characters have in public are fair game to be used by other PCs or NPCs. We have forums marked Public/Private for this very reason - gossip, hearsay, and society reactions can all occur in public areas and anything said or done in these forums is entirely fair game. There are too many eyes to avoid being seen entirely.
06. We heavily discourage OOC determination for IC events. This means that saying something has happened ingame via a PM or DM should not make it canon - while we understand small decisions may be made this way plot-wise or for private plots, understand that your partners are freely capable to decide what their characters have or have not been told if it has not taken place on site - correspondences and letters, collaborations, one-shots, and development pages suffice for “on site” informing. Staff ultimately has final say on what is or is not site canon IF it has not been threaded.
07. Fate Rolls are final. Fate Rolls - those done specifically and only by staff to determine a character’s success or lack thereof in critical situations - are considered final regardless of the result. This stands for ALL characters, and tie into our focus on risk and reward. Voluntary rolls done by members (combat, pregnancy, persuasion etc) are done so for fun and are not considered in any way concrete.
01. Avatars are 200x350 pixels. Your OOC and character avatars should hold precisely to 200 pixels wide by 350 pixels tall. You may be asked to change the image if it does not adhere to these dimensions.
02. Playbys should be known & real people. Playbys or face claims should be living people that have easily accessible “public domain” images - actors, primarily, though models and other highly public faces are allowed. We do not allow artwork or game screenshots.
03. Signatures are disabled. Use the Character Development forum if you have character extras you want to keep track of.